Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Weekly Local Booty - CSA - August 22, 2009

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Weekly Local Booty - CSA - August 22, 2009

So yeah, I have been a bit of a bum with the blog as of late - if anyone can tell. We went to the farmer's market last weekend and somewhere along the way, I completely forgot to post a local booty update, or anything else for that matter. It was a rough week, lots going on, but things are starting to settle down and I am looking forward to a weekend of reading, writing, and perhaps a bit of cooking as well. I have always loved writing and awhile back Selina and I started working on a creative writing project which really brought writing back to me, so I have been playing around with a little bit of fiction - nothing good really, but it has been a lot of fun to work on.

Anyways, we didn't get much at market this weekend - we just picked up our CSA. I am taking it a bit easy in the cooking department and our CSA was packed with goodies that all work for the rough meal plan I had going in my head. I'm thinking a nice Mexican-inspired creamy soup sounds nice...

But enough of my yammering, check our our week 15 DanJo Farms quarter CSA share:


















Starting from the bottom right: 2 tomatoes, a ripe jalapeno, a banana pepper, 4 New Mexico chiles (some ripe, one not), a cayenne, 2 sweet peppers, a yellow squash, a zucchini, an onion, and a mighty large acorn squash.

So as I mentioned earlier, we haven't been focusing all that much in the kitchen. I have been on a reading kick - if you look at the Books J's Read - 2009 post you will see how I spend a good deal of my time and have now been writing as well. Brett is working on programming a baseball simulation game he developed and is having a couple of friends help with the things needed for implementation. It is really exciting - I am so proud of him! I love seeing him so dedicated, so passionate about something he is doing. He has a really good concept for the game and it is an interface that hasn't been done yet but that fans of this genre have been interested in for years. Y'all might want to watch out, Brett could be the next big internet game designer, and you can say you knew him way back when... :-)

Maybe that will help to explain our absence in the blogosphere, we've both got our head in creative projects and often get sucked in for days at a time! But it is nice to use your mind, to be creative, and who knows what will come from it.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

'Til next time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you last week and hoping everything was okay! Your updates are always missed, but you need to take care of yourself and make sure you are finding balance in your life and doing what you enjoy, too :-)

It seems so early for winter squash! Wow. Although I saw both acorn and spaghetti squash at my farmers market last week (and again this week)--it seems so strange! I love fall, but it is still so summery and hot out! I hope you do something yummy with your acorn squash :o)

Courtney

The Voracious Vegan said...

We've missed you around here! It is great to see a new post. Those veggies look beautiful, and I've said it before and I'll say it again: you are so lucky to have access to such fresh and beautiful veggies!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your post again :-) Acorn squash already, wow. Taking that time for yourself is important, enjoy that.

Lisa said...

Glad to hear you have some fun projects going on. Hope the rest of your weekend is relaxing!