Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Weekly Local Booty - Garden Grub, Farmer's Market, and CSA - June 13, 2009

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Weekly Local Booty - Garden Grub, Farmer's Market, and CSA - June 13, 2009

There are going to be two quick posts today so I don't fall too far behind. I've been reading this awesome non-fiction book called How to Be Idle: A Loafer's Manifesto and I think I am getting a bit lazier as a result of now having some justification for my laziness. :-) I kid, I kid. This has been my first week back to work and Brett and I have been enjoying ourselves after work. Selina and I have also been spending a lot of time working on our cookbook, which is shaping up very nicely by the way.

So though this post should have been up last Saturday, it is better last than never, right?!

Check out our first bit of container garden booty!


Our first cayenne! This is from the plant that we started inside in, I believe, February. Before we left for the wedding and honeymoon, the plant held this and a few other peppers. It exploded while we were gone - we haven't even ventured to guess or try to could how many peppers are on the plant now. I might be able to make a full-fledged ristra this year!

Here is Week 5's CSA:


Starting from the bottom right: basil, spring onions, asparagus, salad greens, 2 cukes, and a bunch of radishes.

We really enjoyed the asparagus in a new recipe I tested for our cookbook. Most people might not think to put things like asparagus in Mexican food, but done right, it is awesome, just awesome.

Here is last Saturday's farmer's market haul:


Again, starting from the bottom right: red and white boiler onions, Yukon Gold potaotes, 1/2 pound oyster mushrooms, 2 bags of Phil's Phine sweet basil, 3 serrano starts, 2 tomatillo starts, 2 heads of broccoli, 4 tomatoes (one orange!), and locally made penne pasta.

We've been eating mighty fine this week. I may have to put up a couple of "teaser" pictures of things we are working on for the cookbook soon.

Not to worry though, there will still be recipes and posts here on Veg*n Cooking, but they are going to be the ones that are just rough drafts, that still need improvement before going into a cookbook

Well, I'll be back at some point today for a quick container garden update.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cookbook talk is getting me excited...I love cookbooks, and your recipes are always so good!

Those tomatoes are gorgeous! Are they greenhouse/hothouse ones? Those are the only kind available at our farmers market as of now, but I can't wait for tomato season to really start!

Courtney

Anonymous said...

I too am excited for the cookbook! And I'm all for experimenting with food combos like asparagus in Mexican-style foods :-) Glad your peppers are doing so well.

J said...

Courtney - Well I really appreciate that. I have been having a lot of fun working on it!

Nope, these are grown in the ground. It isn't too unusual for us to have soil grown tomatoes around this time. Each week we start seeing more and more.

Living in a Local Zone - Hehehe, awesome, I am glad so many people excited about it.

I like to try to incorporate what is here locally with the flavor profiles that I enjoy. I never claimed it was authentic! It just tastes good! :-)

Unknown said...

Hello, greetings to every one are you looking for your future wife, husband,friend and sugar mummy and daddy? here is a great chance for you to get hooked up with the new high class people in town now, kindly contact me on +2348162024853 for more information on how to get one thanks..