Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Hubbard Squash and Potato Soup with Roasted Garlic, Caramelized Red Onions, and Fresh Parsley

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hubbard Squash and Potato Soup with Roasted Garlic, Caramelized Red Onions, and Fresh Parsley

I go through our "stash" of winter squash each week to pull out anything that either needs to be used or catches my eye for use during that week. Late last week when I was going through the squash, I chose the mini hubbard squash. I decided I wanted to make soup out of it (big surprise) but I wanted to do something a little special. I don't cook with fresh herbs a lot, I don't really know why, but I found some fresh parsley at The Root Cellar and this soup came together for a delicious and satisfying soup and bread night.

I promise I plan to make more than just creamy smooth soups, we've just been on a ciabatta kick lately, and to be honest, I'm not sure what to serve with a chunky soup. But I have lots of ideas for the soup itself. Any pairing suggestions would be much appreciated.

Anyways, this soup came together surprisingly quickly. By the time the squash and potatoes were done boiling, the garlic was roasted and cooled, and the onions were caramelized, so all in all, this is about a 45 minute dinner. Not too shabby. And as always, this makes about 6 or so cups, I take the leftovers to work with me during the week for yummy lunches.















The local booty legend (aka revealing my sources):
no asterisk = grocery store
+ = The Root Cellar
++ = The Peace Nook
* = farmer's market
** = CSA
*** = Container or Community Garden
**** = the non-profit buying club, Blue Planet or Purcell Mountain Farms

Hubbard Squash and Potato Soup with Roasted Garlic, Caramelized Red Onions, and Fresh Parsley

Squash and Taters:
1 mini hubbard squash, halved, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 4 cups)*
2 medium new potatoes (or other brown or yellow potato), peeled and cubed *
4 cups of water
1 veggie bouillon cube (you could just use 4 cups veg broth)

Combine ingredients in a large pot. Boil until squash and potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes.

Caramelized Red Onions:
1 large red onion, sliced +
2 tbsp safflower oil
dried basil
dried thyme
garlic powder
salt

Heat safflower oil in a small pan over medium heat.

Add the onions and sprinkle the seasonings on.

Stir-fry until onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes.

The Rest of the Stuff:
1 small bulb of garlic, roasted +
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped +
3 cups plain hemp milk ++
salt
pepper

Blend everything in a food processor until very smooth. Return to large pot (used for squash and potatoes) and heat through.

I love soup and bread night. This weekends soup and bread night will feature yet another creamy soup - this is a trial run of the soup I would like to make for my family over Thanksgiving (I will be making a mostly local veg*n spread!).

'Til next time.

13 comments:

hmd said...

All these cream soups look delicious. Can you make them without a food processor or a blender? I've been reluctant to buy anything new, but I might just have to.

T said...

This looks so fab! You are really on a roll with these soups lately. Like the use of fresh herbs too, I don't cook with them much either.

Anabel said...

This looks soooo delicious. Would it work well with another kind of squash? I have some butternut that needs using.

As for chunky soups, I like to eat them with biscuits! But I like to eat all soups with biscuits, because they're so easy and quick to make. To be honest, I find that chunky soups can often be served alone, since they tend to be pretty hearty.

I've never commented here, but I really enjoy reading your blog! If you want to check it out, I have a very new vegan blog at http://vegansettlersguide.blogspot.com.

Alicia said...

Oh, every time I make soup and bread dinner I eat way too much bread... I can't control it! We had a great hot pumpkin soup but my stomach is upset and now I cannot eat it anymore!

miss v said...

such a decadent soup. sounds great for this chilly week.

J said...

Heather - Thank you! I imagine you could use an immersion blender or perhaps even a stand mixer. If you didn't mind it being a bit chunkier, you could probably even get away with a potato masher and a tireless stirring hand. :-)

T - Hahaha, I've been racking my brain trying to think of ideas for creamy soups so I can eat more of that local ciabatta! I saw the fresh parsley at The Root Cellar, and I knew I should use it in the soup. Glad I'm not the only one who tends to shy away from fresh herbs. Perhaps I need to start growing more.

Bill - Thank you. I imagine this would work well with most winter squash. Butternut would be a perfect stand-in. This is the first time I had ever had hubbard squash and I thought it tasted a lot like pumpkin, but sweeter.

Biscuits! That is a great idea. We love biscuits around here and I have actually been experimenting with them anyway. Chunky soups - especially those with beans - are often hearty enough all on their own - you are very right about that. Sometimes I like to have tortilla chips with my chili.

Thanks for coming by. I will check out your blog.

Alice - Haha, we do too. We usually polish off most or all of that loaf of ciabatta between the two of us.

Pumpkin soup - oh my, that is something I need to try. I'll have to look for a recipe!

Miss V - Thank you, it was creamy and really delicious. And you are right, it is perfect for the cold weather. It looks like it is supposed to get COLDER later in the week. Blah!

jessy said...

you can make all the creamy soups you want - i'm loving them all! the color of your hubbard squash soup is so pretty! as for chunky soups - we love making biscuits ad crumbling them into our chunky soups. i wonder if you made some french bread or some focaccia if that would go nicely with a chunkier soup. hmmm..... i'll think on it some more. this sunday we're going to make a semi-chunky black bean soup - and i'm thinking some soft french bread will go well with it. i'll let you know! hooray for more soup 'n bread!

Daphne Gould said...

Your soup looks delicious. It really is squash season. Earlier this week my husband and I went out to eat. They had a couple of new chicken dishes on the menu. One had squash, one had asparagus. Asparagus in the fall? It just seemed wrong. The squash raviolis were good though and much more fitting to our season.

DP Nguyen said...

That looks like a very delicious and creamy soup. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Yum--roasted garlic is SO delicious I bet it made this already sounding great soup even better! Sounds like a wonderful meal :o)

Courtney

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

you can't beat leftover homemade soup for lunch! Mmm.

J said...

Jessy - Hahaha, well thank you, we have quite enjoyed them as well.

That is two votes for the biscuits, I'm going to have to try that. Your bread sticks might be another good option. Thanks for all the ideas - and I WILL make a focaccia sometime!

Oooooohhhhhh, yummy sounding soup, please do let us know how it goes!

Daphne - Thank you. It IS winter squash season. You would figure we would be turning into squash right now - all the zucchini and summer squash over summer, and the winter squash now. Asparagus in fall?! No way! Squash raviolis sound amazing. I've wanted to try making my own at home, but I fear how difficult it would be.

DP - Thank you!

Courtney - I know, I love roasted garlic too. I have (don't tell anyone) eaten roasted garlic plain a time or two as well. I just snitch one of the cloves. :-)

Lisa - I know, it is like chili, it always seems to have a better flavor the next day.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer


Glad to know I am not the only one who has eaten roasted garlic plain like that! It is just so mellow and good...I cannot resist myself once I have roasted a head of it!

Courtney