Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: J's Spicy Mexican-ish Brunch Hash

Thursday, September 11, 2008

J's Spicy Mexican-ish Brunch Hash

I made this for brunch over the weekend. It was very easy and very tasty - an excellent way to enjoy the abundance at the farmer's market. We are really trying to relish in it while we can. We are going to attempt to eat as locally as possible over winter, but it will be more difficult. Tomorrow when I post a "mini round-up" of how folks are doing in the Unplug Yourself initiative, I will outline our goals for eating as locally and sustainably as possible over the winter. I am also pondering a "what's local on our table" either page or element on the sidebar for easy viewing of what we are eating locally each week. Would anyone be interested in this element or page?

Anyways, there are a lot of peppers in this, so it might seem like it was really spicy, but it wasn't too spicy for Brett to enjoy. He's lucky I didn't add that second habanero, I wanted to, but thought I was pushing my luck with the one.

As those of you who have been following this blog know, we gave up avocados back in June for Chile's Quit Now Challenge. Since then, the only time we have had avocados has been when we go to our favorite local Mexican restaurant El Rancho, or when my dad brought a bunch down with the (apparently dying) avocado tree. In doing the challenge, the idea wasn't to give up avocados completely but rather, to become less reliant on them, and I think we very much succeeded. I bought an avocado this weekend for the first time since before the challenge in June. I thought it would really round out the brunch hash and would also be a really nice treat. So this meal includes guacamole!

Just a reminder of the produce legend:
no asterisk = grocery store
* = farmer's market
** = CSA
*** = Container or Community Garden

Well, here it is!


J's Spicy Mexican-ish Brunch Hash
4 small new potatoes, cubed *
2 white mushrooms, minced
1/2 a zucchini, cubed ***
1/2 a yellow summer squash, cubed **
1 red bell pepper, seeded and minced *
1 poblano pepper, seeded and minced *
1 habanero, seeded and minced *
1/2 red onion, minced *
4 cloves of garlic, minced *
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped ***
2-3 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced (or 1 tsp dried) **
chili powder
cumin
Mexican oregano
black pepper
salt

guacamole
homemade salsa

Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook for about 6-8 minutes. Drain potatoes.

Meanwhile, heat a couple of tablespoons of safflower oil in a large skillet. Add all the veggies except the tomatoes and cilantro and cook for 10-15 minutes, adding the potatoes whenever they are done.

Once veggies begin to soften, season to taste and add the tomatoes. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.

Stir in the cilantro.

Garnish with guacamole and homemade salsa.

We also at a few tortilla chips with our meal.

I don't fuss over brunch very often, we generally eat veggie bagel sandwiches and fruit, but every once in awhile a nice cooked brunch sounds good.

'Til next time.

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Okay, that's it, I'm coming over for brunch - what time shall I arrive?? ;0)

Chile said...

Yum! Sheesh, Jennifer, half the time I come here, I end up drooling all over myself. ;-)

Does the guacamole taste decadently wonderful after having it less often?

The bean soup with roasted watermelon seeds I made this week would have been even better with guacamole on top, especially since we crushed corn tortilla chips into the soup.

DP Nguyen said...

THat does look spicy! The salsa looks pretty good though. Yum.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Liz, what time should we arrive? And what can we bring to accompany?

I am very strict about my avacado buying - almost never - and recently made some guacamole...thought I was in heaven!

J said...

Veggie Girl - Hahahahaha! Saturdays, sometime around noon, you bring the chips! ;-)

Chile - Hehehe, be careful, don't want to ruin that keyboard!

It DOES taste a lot better. We enjoyed it and can now go awhile before having it again, boy was it a treat!

I checked out that post, that sounds really good! I wish that I liked watermelon just so I could roast some seeds and try that out, but alas, neither Brett or I like it.

The crushed corn chips take it over the top, I never thought to do that in a black bean soup!

Dp Nguyen - Surprisingly it wasn't too spicy. I would have been happy to add the other habanero, but Brett doesn't like things as hot as I do.

This was the last of the salsa we canned a few weeks ago (so much for putting it up for winter!). It was a great touch.

Shellyfish - Haha, well she can bring the chips, you can bring some sort of citrusy beverage. Sound good?

We are too, and when you only have the avocados occasionally, instead of all the time like we were, they seem a lot more special and are definitely a treat!

Unknown said...

I'm coming for brunch too!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! It does sound spicy, but maybe if Brett could handle it so can I :o)

You know, you posting about the avocados makes me realize that I still have not had pineapple since I gave it up for the Quit Now Challenge! I may have to change that this weekend...!

By the way, I would be interested in the local eating element/page--it sounds like a good idea.

Courtney

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! I forgot to check in for the challenge! I'm so horrible at keeping deadlines. :-~

But you'll be glad to know that we have been recycling, mostly cereal boxes and paper. It was piled up high in a corner of our kitchen, until recently (today) I had a chance to put them in the recycle bin downstairs.

Long and I were just talking the other day about how it is amazing how much trash is thrown out everyday. Before this we didn't realize how much of what we considered "trash" could have been recycled. Feel kind of bad. I mean we still re-use a lot, but others that we can't re-use, i.e. cereal boxes, we toss out. It's just a big eye opener in general. It also gets me thinking that someone out there is living close or in all this trash because there is no way we have room for all of this on earth.

Jennifer: I remembered a while back you asked me if Cliff bar made any vegan bars. I think I've found it. Although I have yet to try it. It's called Nectar Bar. The ingredient list is significantly smaller than the "regular" cliff bars, and they stress an organic theme. I just bought some today and am looking to test it out soon.

Catherine Weber said...

I do love avocadoes. I realize they aren't even close to being local, but I love them!

I'm sad to hear about the avocado tree! Please update us!

J said...

Cookiemouse - Let's make it a veg*n Mexican brunch party in CoMo!

Courtney - Thanks. I know it DOES sound spicy, when I was writing out the recipe, I thought "nobody is going to try this, it sounds too hot!" But it really wasn't, Brett didn't complain about it at all.

Wow, kudos to you! If you do have a pineapple this weekend, let us know if it was more enjoyable to you than when you were having it regularly, I know avocados have been for us.

Thanks for your input, I'll be adding the new sidebar element on Saturday (or whenever I end up doing the local booty update).

Leng - No worries - I am too!

That is wonderful! You'll get into a habit with it soon and it will get easier. It IS amazing all the trash we produce. And you are right, we often forget that there truly is no such thing as "away". It all goes somewhere. That somewhere may just be the home of people, animals, and other critters.

That is excellent that you re-use so much, that is better than recycling, but I'm with you, it is sad to see how much stuff that CAN be recycled isn't. I can't tell you how often I see someone take a bag of paper and plastic to the dumpster!

Thanks about the Cliff Bars, I hope you will do a review when you try them.

Catherine - I know, I do too. It almost makes me want to move to Florida or California - almost, but not quite. :-)

I am too. Luckily the tree has a "warranty" so if it dies, we CAN get a replacement. I just hope that doesn't happen. I just don't understand what is wrong with it, and it is degrading fast. :-(

jessy said...

oh my goodness, Jennifer! that hash looks freak'n AMAZING! i want to eat it all NOW! i think dan and i need a tasty hash for brunch this weekend, too! thanks! :D

J said...

Jessy - Haha, it was really good, and a little spicy too - wahoo!

I like brunch hashes, they are a great way to eat lots of local goodness and it's getting cool enough to boil water and be over the stove!