Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Spring Veggie Fusion Quesadillas

Monday, May 12, 2008

Spring Veggie Fusion Quesadillas

This meal consisted of an odd variety of ingredients, but I like to rebel against the norm and do crazy things with my food. Sometimes it turns out really good, other times not so much. This was a good one.
And on the name, Spring Veggie Quesadillas, I think the only 'spring' vegetable in here is the asparagus, but that's the idea I had for a name for it, and I'm not all that creative with titles, so there it is! :-)

My freezer has been filling up with the sauces I've been making for the past few weeks, so I pulled out a couple to have with the recipes I chose for this week.


















Spring Veggie Fusion Quesadillas
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
1 small can chopped black olives, drained
1/2 bunch of asparagus, woody ends discarded
2 small red potatoes, srubbed and cubed
1 red or yellow bell pepper, halved
1 poblano, halved
1/4 red onion, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups mushrooms (I used a pack of Enoki and half a pack of baby portobellos)
4 jalapenos, seeded and minced
1 habanero, seeded and minced (optional)
Mexican oregano
ground coriander
cumin
salt
vegan jack

tortillas

Preheat oven to 425.

Melt 1 tsp coconut oil on a baking sheet in the oven.

Layer asparagus, potatoes and peppers on the baking sheet and toss with oil, sprinkle a pinch of salt over veggies. Roast for about 20 minutes or until veggies are soft.

You may have to remove the asparagus and peppers before the potatoes are done.

Meanwhile, heat a few tablespoons of water in a medium skillet. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and peppers and cook for 10-15 minutes or until veggies soft. Drain any excess water and transfer to a large bowl.

When roasted veggies are cool, chop and put in bowl.

Add artichokes and olives and season to taste.

Layer filling and vegan jack in warmed tortillas and fry if desired.

Serve with guacamole and Chipotle Tomatillos Serrano Sauce.

'Til next time!

14 comments:

jessy said...

this looks so goooooood! and i like the idea of asparagus & artichokes in there! mmmmmm! i'm glad it turned out to be super yummy! it looks awesome, too!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

ahh, the highly-anticipated quesadillas!! yum!! I love your "rebelliousness" with the ingredient-combination - sounds wonderful!

Alicia said...

If this is going against the system, I'm IN! asparagus for your quesadillas!
No, seriously, it looks great, and I admire you for cooking your yummy sauces in advance and not having to buy a cheater kit in the supermarket...

Anonymous said...

Asparagus?? Artichokes?!! YES!!! MMm!! Your fusion is perfect!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

another beautiful meal full of color by my mexican goddess. xox

Bianca said...

I love me some quesadillas! And cute name...btw, I'm trying your lentil and sweet potato tacos for dinner tonight. I've been planning on making them since my last grocery trip but I'm just now getting around to it...

Bianca said...

Okay, I just tried to look up the recipe for sweet potato and lentil tacos and I realize now that you used red potatoes...for some reason, I kept thinking it was sweet potatoes...and now I'm craving it with sweet potatoes (and my grandma gave me a whole bunch yesterday)...so I'm going to try it that way....sort of like a variation on your idea.

Anonymous said...

Artichokes and asparagus and mushrooms all together in ONE dish?! Yum! You have me convinced--it must be delish!

It looks and sounds great!

Courtney

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

All those wonderful veggies are a meal in a tortilla for sure. I love potatoes in Mexican food.

Lizzy said...

Oh my god Jennifer... this looks like a stuffing made in heaven exclusively for me (minus the shrooms =p). I think I'll have to give the sweet potato another chance(I already thought of this after seeing your quinoa sweet potato dish at Jennas blog) and make this dish =)

J said...

Jessy - Thanks! It was definitely an experiment, but it turned out well!

Veggie Girl - Hahahaha! My inner rebel gets the best of me sometimes!

Alice - Haha! I think you and I would get along JUST FINE. I find that when I make sauces at home, I can make sure they are exactly to our liking.

Romina - :-)

Happy Herbivore - Thanks!! The variety of color happened on accident, I'm not much of a 'presentation person'.

Bianca - Me too, they are so versatile! Oooooh, I hope you like them. I love the variation, I bet they'll be great with sweet potatoes! I made a lentil/sweet potato burrito awhile back that was awesome, I bet these would be even better.

Courtney - Hahaha! Three of my favorite things! I can't believe I used to hate mushrooms, what was wrong with me?!

Lisa - Potatoes in Mexican food rocks! I try to add them wherever possible.

Lizzy - Hahaha! I'll have to create a veggie laden recipe, sans mushrooms, just for you!

You SHOULD give sweet potatoes another chance. I don't know why, but I hated them for the longest time, and now, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!

Lizzy said...

Uiii, I feel damn special now ha ha! But it's not like omitting mushrooms would make it taste less special unless it would be something like a mushroom gravy...

Okay, you convinced me!! =D
And you have so many incredible looking/sounding recipes that include them so how could this ever become a bad experience?

J said...

Lizzy - Hahaha! Good point.

You'll have to let me know how you feel about your second dance with the glorious sweet potato!

Lizzy said...

will do ;)
i think i might buy one after work today so that i can make one of your special recipes this weekend! damn it, now i want to go home and do it right away, but i just to work 34 minutes ago =p