Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Tofu Potato Burritos (and those awesome plates again too!)

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tofu Potato Burritos (and those awesome plates again too!)

The wild weather in Mid-Missouri seems to have decided to go back to normal – at least for now. In the same week, we here in Missouri experienced wind chills as low as -7 and stormy 70 degree days (including tornado warnings, sirens, co-workers taking cover in the basement of our building and everything). I, like many others, enjoyed the warm weather way too much (even with the wind and storms included) so going back to the normal 30-40 degree weather seems much colder than it should.

So anyway, I noticed when planning out meals for this week that I make burritos (I define this as any combination of ingredients stuffed into a tortilla) quite a bit. Well for this and the next entry, enjoy the tortillas, but this weekend I am going to try to expand my horizons a bit. I love Asian food so have decided to make all sorts of different sauces and make them into different kinds of stir-frys (I have been wanting to try new Asian recipes out for awhile, just got stuck in a flour tortilla rut). Not to dog on the burrito though, I adore them, I really do, but flour tortillas aren’t the best things for you, and I have found that whole wheat tortillas tend to taste like cardboard or something.

Last night, I went with an old Jennifer and Brett favorite, the Tofu Potato Burrito. Now this is my own creation but was based off of something they serve at Main Squeeze, the lone vegetarian restaurant we have in Columbia (and we are so very lucky to have it). Again, as I noted in an earlier post, I love taco seasoning (or really just the combination of chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, corn masa, salt, and cayenne), so it takes center stage in flavoring the roasted potatoes.





























Tofu Potato Burritos


Ingredients:
small red potatoes (B-sized are perfect)
½ block firm tofu
taco seasoning
salt
cayenne pepper
chili powder
turmeric
cumin
diced green chilies or jalapeno (optional)
canola oil spray
flour tortillas
vegan cheese (optional)
tofu sour cream
salsa

Roasted Potatoes:
red potatoes
taco seasoning
salt
cayenne pepper
canola oil

Preheat oven to 450.

Scrub and dice potatoes into small chunks and place in a baking pan that has been sprayed with canola oil. Stir in taco seasoning, cayenne, and salt.

Cover pan with foil and roast in the oven for 45-55 minutes, stirring along the way to make sure potatoes don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.

Scrambled Tofu Filling:
½ block firm tofu, crumbled
turmeric
chili powder
cumin
salt
cayenne
diced green chilies or jalapenos (optional)

Spray small skillet with canola spray and turn on medium heat. Add tofu and seasonings to your liking.

Stir and cook for just a few minutes while the potatoes finish up.

Putting It All Together: Warm a flour tortilla in the microwave. Layer cheese (optional), potatoes, and tofu, add some tofu sour cream if desired. Roll up and top with salsa.

Well, that’s it for now.

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

ahh, the weather here has been quite bizarre as well - hopefully it will normalize itself soon (although I AM enjoying these 70 degree days in January!)

the burritos look quite delectable - as do the plates! :0)

J said...

I think most of the country (if not world) has been experiencing weird weather as of late. I too enjoyed the freak warm snap, and was sad to see it go.

Thanks about the burritos, they are very good. I highly suggest them, as they are tasty and pretty easy to make.

The plates rock, eh? I even have a small version of that plate. I know everyone out there in the blogosphere is jealous.

Ruby Red said...

I've been to lots of Mexican restaurants that serve "breakfast tacos," which consist of bacon & egg, potato & egg, bean & cheese, or any combination between those ingredients, rolled up in a tortilla. I just wish they would use tofu like you do! I would love to try one of your tofu potato burritos (or a potato & tofu breakfast taco, for that matter).

My university is more than two hours away from Main Squeeze, so it's too far for me to get there (no car up at school...), but I've heard great things about the restaurant from others. I wish I could try it!!!

Oh! And I love stir-fries (frys?) and Asian food too. It's so easy to order vegan because they usually offer tofu and there's no dairy in sight! And I cannot believe you don't like whole wheat tortillas. I love 'em!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Make up your mind, weird weather!

The burritos look superb :o)