Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Teriyaki Tofu

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Teriyaki Tofu

Last night I decided to move away from sweet Asian sauces a bit to make something more savory, as both Brett and I felt like we had eaten a lot of sweet foods this week. So I went for a Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry, and it turned out spot on. I was impressed with how much my homemade version actually tasted like teriyaki sauce, since, as I said in a previous post, sometimes I make things sweeter, spicier, and tangier, than they are made “authentically”. But this sauce seemed pretty authentic.

I also loaded this stir-fry up with veggies because I felt like we haven’t had as high of a veggie intake lately as we should. This is one thing I love about stir-fries; they are a perfect way to get a nice, healthy dose of veggies.















Teriyaki Sauce
1/3 cup mirin (Chinese Rice Wine)
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup shoyu
1-2 tbsp minced ginger
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 tbsp brown rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
3 tbsp brown sugar
1-2 corn starch dissolved in water (depending on desired thickness)
red pepper flakes

Heat all ingredients except for corn start and water mixture on stove. Stir frequently while waiting for sauce to boil. Once boiling, add corn starch and water mixture, stirring frequently until desired thickness.

Teriyaki Stir-Fry
tofu, cut into small pieces
Teriyaki Sauce
onions
bell pepper
snow peas
broccoli, cooked
edamame
Hot cooked, brown Basmati Rice
peanut oil

Heat peanut oil in skillet and fry tofu until it begins to brown. Add onions and bell pepper. Cook until onion and peppers begin to get soft and tofu is done to your liking.

Throw all the veggies over some brown Basmati rice, top with the sauce and enjoy!

I probably won’t have a post tomorrow as I feel like being lazy tonight which means…..Amy’s Pizza. I really do like Amy’s products; there is a vegan bean burrito Amy’s makes that I love taking to work for lunch when there are no leftovers to take.

I wanted to end this post asking for a bit of wisdom from the seasoned vegan cooking community out there. As I have mentioned before, I am just starting my vegan cookbook collection. So far I have Veganomicon. I want to get one more regular cookbook and one dedicated to desserts to start. I am thinking about Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan or Vegan with a Vengeance for my regular cookbook choice (anybody have suggestions for which I should get?), but am stumped for ideas for where to start in the way of vegan dessert cookbooks.

Any advice will be most appreciated!

‘Til Friday!

6 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

thanks for the recipe! it sounds amazing!

Veggie said...

I vote for Vegan with a Vengeance, I bought it in the summer. It has a great range of recipes. The carrot cake is amazing.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Mmm your teriyaki tofu recipe sounds great!

As for vegan dessert books, you can't go wrong with Vegan Cupcakes take over the World... but that IS a bit limited in variety, so what about Sinfully Vegan? I don't have it, but have heard good things about it from other people who own it. Hope that helps :o).

Ruby Red said...

Wow, I love teriyaki tofu! How are you able to tell whether something tastes "authentic" or not? Are you a big traveler?

I think Amy's Roasted Vegetable Pizza is pretty good. :)

I have Vegan with a Vengeance and ED&BV and I love them both so dearly that it would be hard to choose between the two - but you're right on, they're my two faves along with V-Con! I'm not sure what to recommend for a dessert cookbook. I've had My Sweet Vegan a couple weeks now and still haven't made anything from it, maybe because some of the ingredients strike me as expensive. :/

On my BBQ Chik'n sandwich, I used Lightlife Chik'n strips. They're really icky and they are barely edible unless you really doctor them up - I was just trying to use them all up so I could clean out the freezer! My goal this year is to make seitan myself - I've never done it before.

Lizzy said...

OH MY! I'm not kidding, that looks so tasteful!
I'm actually not that into Tofu, but looking at this picture... mhh, I think I might actually have to try it again =)

Ahh, I never have breakfast on weekends either =p
That's why I love this puree, like you said it makes a great breakfast. I used to buy it bottled, with cows milk of course. But it tastes so much better if it's homemade with fresh fruit and soy milk <3
I can't get enough of fruit anyway, so yay for not being the only fruitaholic ;)

And brunches on weekends are the best. I rarely have them anymore though =(
Well, this weekend I'll hopefully change that =)

Nice to meet you too ;)

J said...

Pleasantly - Your very much welcome, thank you for the kind words.

Veggie - Awesome, thanks for the tip. I think I may end up just getting ED&BV and VWaV and forgetting about a completely dessert oriented book. Not to mention, the above stated books have a dessert section anyway!

Chocolate Covered - You are probably right, you can't go wrong with cupcakes! I'll have to check out Sinfully Vegan to see what kind of recipes it has, thanks for the tip.

Ruby Red - Haha! No, I'm not very well traveled. I am judging my recipes authenticity and how the dish has tasted when I have eaten it at Asian restaurants, which have probably "Americanized" the hell out of the recipe anyway, so I should just do whatever tastes right, eh?

And thanks for the hint about My Sweet Vegan, I too prefer cookbooks that use fairly normal and easy to find ingredients, as well as ones that won't break your wallet. We Institutional Researchers don't make a killing or anything.

Haha about the Chik'n Strips! Good way of getting rid of them without wasting them.

Lizzy - Tofu isn't for some people. You could probably make this recipe with seitan or tempeh or perhaps even some sort of bean combination if you don't like tofu.

I'll have to keep an eye out on your blog to see if you have any yummy, successful brunch adventures. I am planning on trying out one of SusanV's (from the Fat Free Vegan Kitchen) recipes for brunch this weekend.